Saturday, June 12, 2010

Muddy Waters

Every time i go to sit down its late and I still need to feed the kids inside like my dog Buddy and the cats, Luke and Patou.

The last few weeks have been exhausting with the garage sale Mom and my sister and I put on to start. We made 350.00 and that is including the 1.35 in the donation tin. We were supported by two friends who drove a hell of a long way to come, Marion and Donna thank you so much. Donna also brought along 30 bags of popcorn and the pigs had there party with it last night.

The first day of the sale a Mission Brownie Team leader stopped in to tell me 14 kids were loaded with apples standing at the gates of the Sanctuary. I did need to go back and check on the animals anyhow so i raced back here to give them a tour and then raced back again. Pigs had breakfast before i left and lucky them they had lunch too ;o)

The rain is brutal and some of the pigs areas are so muddy you can't tell where the poop or the mud ended. To muddy too push filled wheel barrows threw i simply park it outside the paddocks and then heave over a 54" fence. Tonight my shoulders are killing me.

Thankfully Carolyne and Alex joined my sister and I with the work here today as i wasn't at my strongest.

CDART which stands for Canadian Disaster Animal Rescue Team arrived at around lunch time to go over our itinerary for an October Pig Handling Course.
Deb, Heather and Cheryl and I ate lunch, belly rubbed pigs and went over our rescue plans if and when needed. It feels good to have a team like this in your corner as they have been for many years now. If we ever have to be evacuated they are ready for us in Kelowna , but will have an immediate plan to get us out of here and somewhere temporarily if needed.

My truck has been giving me trouble and i did make to buy hay on that one sunny day we had last week. After picking it up yesterday from the shop, today it sounds worse then ever. I need to make a dump run and more critical is i am out of everything for the pigs. No produce , no breakfast and maybe one night of dinner and we need shavings.

The guys from B.C. Regional Corrections were here three times this week and the perimeter fencing is done. As some of the guys were finishing that up the rest of the crew was cleaning up bush and trimming low branches. Tons of work done and we have been discussing the mud issues and where to start digging ditches. The place is really coming together with the help of this crew and it is really looking good. My dog Buddy loves these guys and awakes early in the morning to go look out the window. He wants out so excited and returns to the house disappointed a few minutes later when there not out there.

My friend Jean lost two of her dog kids a week apart , i can't imagine the sorrow .. Oliver lost his life after a sitter let him off leash at the beach and that 16 year old dog never recovered after the shock of almost drowning. Belle after emergency vet care came home and drifted away in Jeans arms the day after. Another friend prepares to help her senior cross over in the next few days.. all loved tremendously.

My unemployment insurance ran out so the search for work is on me..i do have an idea here lets hope it sells once completed.

Well my eyes are ready to close and i better get the rest of us fed , have a good night everyone.


tbsomeday said...

wow you are so very busy!

my sympathy goes to your friends who lost and are sending their loved ones to heaven
good-bye is so hard to say

good luck to you on the job prospect!

Janice Gillett said...

Its been crazy and even though the crew here is doing all the labor i am exhausted when they leave lol. You know your back and forth checking progress , answering questions where i want this and how much do you want cut. And slinging mud over 15 piggy pens is getting really hard. The big pigs pens are the heaviest work for obvious reasons lol
My sister came over and lent me her truck. While she unaldoed left over garage sale items i started clean up in the feed room. Tearing down two weeks of cardboard etc. She told me to go and she would work on that while i went shopping. When i got back she helped me unload 1000 lbs of feed and then we loaded her truck for the dump run. What would normally take me most of the day and all of my energy was done by 12:30. One persons help for a few hours makes such a huge difference.

Colleen said...

I have to get out there and see what it looks like now compared to a couple months back. Sounds wonderful!

I'll try and get out this coming weekend as I also have some stuff for the pigs.

$1.35 in the donation tin??? My gaaaawd!

Janice Gillett said...

Thanks Colleen.. yea $ 1.35 LOL Story of my life rescuing pigs

Janice Gillett said...

Thank you for your donations of goods Colleen, we saved a few items we found in your stuff we thought you would want back.